18 to 26 June 2018
An immersive and educational field study tour of the truffle industry developing in Manjimup, the heart of Australian truffle country.
Participants will acquire a strong appreciation of the application of science to truffle production. Participants will understand the way truffles have influenced and affected the community and have become part of the agri-tourism movement, providing direct and material benefit to the local and wider community.
This tour seeks to strengthen international connections in the truffle industry, to establish new collaborations and to share knowledge. Participants will share and have the opportunity to present both scientific and horticultural experiences to further our understanding of truffle culture around the world. Delegates expected to attend from Australia and overseas.
The trip includes (also see more detailed draft itinerary at bottom of page):
- Truffle orchard and facility tours;
- Formal seminars with West Australian producers and scientists;
- Focus on the science of truffle growing and the on-going research and development undertaken in WA, as well as the supply chain are covered; from inoculating trees and establishing orchards, irrigation practices, management of pests and diseases, to hunting and harvesting; including the training and handling of dogs, harvesting issues, with a special workshop discussing cleaning and grading, storage, packaging and transport.
- Regional tourism experiences
- Participation in Truffle Kerfuffle, the Australian Truffle Festival which celebrates the truffle season with an amazing weekend of food, wine and truffle experiences.
- Special dinners showcasing the local food culture, utilising regional produce, native Australian ingredients and of course, black truffle.
- Includes: Transport, accommodation and most meals.